Saturday, August 10, 2013

DIY Locker Chandelier


Here is my audition piece for "So you think you're crafty"
This piece actually ended up above my kitchen sink. I love it.
I have noticed over the last few years that there are more and more ways to individualize your lockers. I would have loved to have had some of the options out there, shag carpet, wallpaper, and so much more. I love, love, love chandeliers and have seen a couple versions but just didn’t like many of them. so when I found out that this project was school related it was time to bring on the glitter and glue and show what I was made of.
Audition Project 1.0
First things first I had to go to a couple different stores and look at everything, while I thought, hmmm can this work or maybe this will work. I was originally going to make it out of thick metal but then I came across a pack of forks and bingo, my idea was born. So I started with bending the prongs of the forks in different directions and then glued all 4 forks together, creating not only the frame but also the fun flourishes on the bottom. next i took hooks and glued them on the top and bottom of the base of forks, then ran out to the porch and sprayed the whole thing down with a bronze spray paint. Now I am just getting giddy. Next I found orange and brown beads and strung up 4 long strands to drape from the top of the flourishes.
Audition Project 2.0
To finish it all off I had to have a fancy ceiling base. So taking a lid from a italian crumbs container. I hot glued 6 more hooks onto the top of the lid and ran to the porch again to spray paint. I then poked a hole in the middle and using fishing wire strung the chandelier base through the ceiling base. So you are probably wondering how do you attach it to the ceiling of your locker. Easy. I glued 6 round magnets into the ceiling base and ta-dah It clicks right to the top of the locker. fun fun fun
Audition Project 3.0
- See more at: http://www.soyouthinkyourecrafty.com/page/2/#sthash.ZGiTncnE.dpuf

2 comments:

  1. Isn't crafting so fun?? It's amazing what some creations turn out to be - I'd love to spend more time making fun things. You do a great job :)

    Yvonne @ TriedandTasty.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea. I bet there are a lot of girls that would think having a chandelier in their locker would be "the thing to do" at school :)

    ReplyDelete